Sunday, August 16, 2009

The "Rock of Ages" Broadway Cast Recording Soundtrack Is Terrible.


So, occasionally I get CDs I need to listen to and then write reviews for. This is a groovy gig if the CD is worth listening to. When it isn't, it's pretty much painful and leaves me with suicidal thoughts.


The "Rock of Ages" Broadway Soundtrack had this effect on me.


Constantine Maroulis stars in this musical. If you have the unfortunate experience of remembering this fella from his stint on "American Idol", then I really need to say nothing else. He's trying to hard to be something he's never gonna be. Which also happens to sum up my feelings about this soundtrack.


Track 1 starts with "Just Like Paradise" and it's all downhill from there. I don't know about you but if I'm going to listen to "Wanted Dead or Alive", I'm going to listen to Bon Jovi sing it. Not a bunch of self-indulgent Broadway singers whose "hairband" collection of albums includes only the "Monster Ballads" CDs available from Time Life.


I'm not the biggest fan of musicals anyway, which is probably an understatement, but still. I do own the "Hair" soundtrack, if that counts for anything. And "Spinal Tap" rocks my world.


If you buy this CD after reading this, you probably loved "Mamma Mia", and think "Daughtry" is hard-core. In that case, I can do nothing more for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment